Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day, Part Two: New Tricks!

Despite some setbacks, it's been a great first Mother's Day.  We went to Dad's Kitchen this morning for breakfast, so I can say that "Dad" made me breakfast.  Ha! Then we went to the Sunday Farmers' Market to get some veggies for the week.  I laughed when I was in line to buy some beets and a little boy around seven or eight was complaining to his mom about being there.  His mom said "Stop complaining. This is my day and I wanted to go to the Farmers' Market."  That was exactly what I wanted too!

Charlotte gave me a very sweet card that she signed herself, and Chris gave me a gift certificate to a nearby spa so I can get a massage or a mani-pedi or whatever I want.  Yay!  Tonight, Chris is making me braised short ribs with mashed potatoes. Yum!

Yesterday, Charlotte showed us some new tricks.  These days, Charlotte definitely prefers self-feeding to being fed with a spoon.  So at lunch I put some farfalle pasta (bowtie) with tomato sauce on the high chair tray.  Charlotte loved eating it and of course made a big mess with the sauce.  I then asked her, "Charlotte, can you give some to Mommy?" And she laughed and handed me a piece of the pasta.  It's now her favorite thing to do at each meal.  So cute.

But... we think we have now heard Charlotte's first word. I bet you're thinking, it's got to Mama or Dada, right? Well, she does say those all the time, but never actually directing the words toward either of us.  So no, it's not Mama or Dada. It's "puff."  As in the Gerber Puffs that melt in your mouth.  Right after Charlotte's first act of sharing, I asked if she wanted a puff.  She said "puuhh."  The "fff" sound isn't quite there because it's requires using your top front teeth and your bottom lip.  My mom could tell you the exact linguistic terminology for that, but that's the best description I can do.  We're also pretty sure we always here the "Kuh" sound when Charlotte sees Tandy. "Kuh" as in "cat."  But the "puhh" sound is definitely the most direct she's ever been at showing an actual object.  Not exactly what I expected to write as her first official word!  Maybe I should send the video to Gerber because whoever created those puffs was a genius!



3 comments:

  1. Oh how cute! I love that Puff is her first word. You should send that video to Gerber and request that the send you a few free cans if you put it on YouTube! Glad you had a great Mother's Day. We just bought Colin two cans of Puffs on Saturday (his first). Do you think he's old enough to try them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable! She already knows how to ask for what she wants :)

    ReplyDelete