Monday, September 20, 2010

Some Animal Sounds

Charlotte is fifteen months old.  I've now renewed the My Baby Can Talk DVD three times from the library, and I'm waiting for another one of the DVDs to be returned so we can learn more signs.  Charlotte is on a signing roll!

She can sign the following words:
  • milk
  • more
  • hat
  • cracker
  • baby
  • monkey
  • all done
  • please
  • thank you
  • elephant
  • lion
  • bye bye
  • hi
  • hungry (she made this one up herself - it involves patting her stomach if I ask her if she's hungry)
She also says the following words/sounds, although not consistently, other than ball and more
  • ball (this is the one word that she never signs, but only says)
  • more
  • cup
  • cracker
  • pain (bread in French)
  • grande (tall in French)
  • meow
  • an elephant sound
  • doggie - I think that's what she says in the following video
  • all gone
  • hi
  • bye bye
  • Mama (only when she's upset and I'm not around)
  • EIEIO (from the song Old McDonald Had a Farm)
  • quack quack (sometimes?)
Most of those words are said few and far between, but she does consistently make the noises for an elephant and for cat. She also says more quite often, usually while signing more.

Of course, she understands many times more words than that. Here's a video I took just tonight while she was eating dinner.  Do you think she's saying "doggie"?



Charlotte seems to be learning more and more signs and words each day.  It's so fun to watch her learning new things.  Of course, there are drawbacks.  Right when I started this video, Chris happened to say hat, which immediately caused Charlotte to pat her head (the sign for hat) with her spaghetti-covered hands. Oh well!

I know I keep saying this, but each month is more and more fun than the one before it! We are just so damn lucky, I can hardly stand it.

1 comment:

  1. I have always said that when my children learned to talk was my favorite period of their little lives. Now with the teaching of signing - I think that is great and wish I had known about it 31 years ago.
    Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete