Monday, February 11, 2013

Kid Logic

Last week, This American Life's theme was "Kid Logic." An example they used was when a little girl finally went on an airplane for the first time and then asked her mom "When do we get smaller?", because she was used to seeing airplanes take off and get smaller and smaller as they fly away.

Charlotte demonstrates crazy kid logic all the time. For example, she cannot fathom a time when she didn't exist. One day, she asked me about our old car, a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. We bought a new Camry a few months ago to replace the Hyundai because we needed a little more room and some creature comforts like remote locking (it made me increasingly uneasy to tell Charlotte to stand still while I run around to the other side of the car to unlock it, put Phoebe in her car seat, etc.). She asked me: "How old was I when you got your silver car?" Now, I got that car when Chris and I had just started dating, 9 and 1/2 years ago. I explained: "You weren't born yet." Charlotte thought about it, and said: "So I was in your tummy?" and I had to try and tell her, "No you weren't around yet." But she just couldn't get it and wouldn't let it rest, so I kind of left it at "Yes, you were in my tummy."

Yesterday's example of kid logic, however, made me snort.

I'm still nursing Phoebe in the morning and at night. I've never been shy about doing it in plain view of Charlotte, and she's never really cared or taken much notice. In the beginning, Charlotte would say that I was feeding her from my "tummy," and not wanting to get in an anatomy lesson with her, I quickly agreed. Well, since then she's learned the appropriate names for everything, but not the appropriate amount of, erm, discretion.

While we were eating dinner last night, Charlotte asked for some milk. She drank a little and then proceeded to demonstrate, by lifting up her shirt and pointing, how she believes that one you drink [cow's] milk it turns into milk that babies can drink. Chris burst out laughing, shaking his head in disbelief. Charlotte, seeing she had a captive audience, showed us a few more times to ensure that we really understood what she was saying. But yes, to a kid who knows milk only as what she drinks in a cup, it makes perfect sense that I would drink milk (despite the fact that I never just drink milk) and it would come out of my body.


This girl - she never ceases to crack us up (photo by our friends Angela and Brian).

*I apologize in advance for totally embarrassing Charlotte with this story 15 years from now.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Eric and I listened to the one about the tooth fairy. Kids come up with the craziest things. Amélie knows that when I feed Sebastian he gets milk from the breast. She likes to say, "Sebastian drink leche from boob?," when I'm going to feed him or just randomly. The other day I caught her feeding her baby doll juice from a bottle and then lowering the collar of her shirt and then putting her doll up to her chest. I had to try really hard not to laugh. I did manage to get a picture, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this why we have kids--so we can write down embarrassing stories about them to use against them when they are dating in high school?

    I must say that Brian and I now both use "Jack Black" as our "curse word" while driving with Gabby, and my students thought that story was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete