Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day and 14 Months Minus A Couple Days

Hey Everyone!

I hope you had a fantastic Mother's Day. I certainly did. Phoebe and Charlotte each decorated mugs for me. What's hilarious about that is that they each did them at their respective daycares, so it's a complete coincidence that I ended up with two almost identical mugs. When I say "decorated," I mean scribbled on. Charlotte says that hers is "beautifuler than Phoebe's." Ms. S. also included a little photo album of a bunch of pictures that she's taken of Phoebe on her phone. Very cute.

We went to a great place for breakfast and both girls were very well-behaved. Charlotte and Phoebe both gorge on breakfast - they are complete bottomless pits when it comes to eggs, waffles, pancakes, and fruit. After we got home from breakfast, we video chatted with my grandmother and my mom, who both loved seeing Phobe toddle around. Pretty soon, it was off to pedicures for Charlotte and me. It was pretty much the only thing I wanted for Mother's Day, since I'll be heading on vacation on Wednesday! However, I figured that since Charlotte loved the one time she had her fingernails painted, I'd take her on a little Mommy and Me Bonding Time. She is so thrilled by her toenails that she's been showing everyone, along with pointing out the pretty flowers painted on her big toes.

Yes, she's sitting on a huge teddy bear.
Since we're leaving on our big trip the day Phoebe turns 14 months, I thought I'd post my little update now.

Phoebe is a full-on walker now. Once she figured out how to stand up without pulling up on anything, that was it. She still looks like a bow-legged zombie, but she's pretty much a pro. It makes things somewhat difficult because now that she's walking, she really does not want to be held, especially in a new place. She also knows how to go down stairs by turning around and sliding down on her stomach. I'm still amazed by how fearless Phoebe is compared with Charlotte. Charlotte was very timid when it came to climbing on playground equipment or going down slides. Phoebe is already trying to climb up the slides. She also easily climbs up Charlotte's stool in their bathroom - and she can drink (fairly well) from Charlotte's regular non-sippy cup. She has no problem standing on different surfaces like rocks, sand, or grass.

On the flip side, Phoebe's language skills still haven't developed. She does what I deem is a "gurgle" - all of her babbling is in hard "g" sounds. While she was saying "uh oh" a few weeks ago, she's stopped that completely, so we're back to no words. We can't get her to sign much of anything, although we try to make her frustrated enough to sign "eat" or "more"; it doesn't usually work. We've checked out the "Your Baby Can Talk" DVDs a number of times from the library and while she's enthralled by the pictures of the various objects or actions, she still hasn't signed any of them. On the other hand, it's obvious she understands a lot. She knows the names of many different kids of animals and can point to them - her favorite animals are birds, cats, and dogs.

Ms. S took the kids to the pet store where Phoebe was apparently utterly enthralled by the birds.

The Regional Center called last week to set up their separate evaluation of Phoebe. The caseworker assigned to us will be coming to our house and bringing a speech therapist along with her on May 29. They'll be evaluating her development, but the caseworker did caution that it's hard to really work with a baby this young on speech. Their attention spans are so short that real therapy may be hard to do until they're at least 18 months old. The Kaiser evaluation with the developmental pediatrician is the next day. It's going to be a crazy two days, but I hope we'll be able to get Phoebe the gentle nudging she needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment