We have been steeped in Christmas activities over the past week. I have a lot of cute pictures to upload, but for now a cute story.
When we picked Charlotte up at school last Wednesday, before going to the Polar Express, her teacher, Ms. Kim, ran up to us and said: "I'm so glad I caught you. I have to tell you something!" My initial thought was to worry what Charlotte had done - she's had some issues with not listening at school lately. Thankfully, it was a super cute story.
One of Charlotte's friends was telling her about the Elf on the Shelf. She explained that the Elf was named Hoose Foose (?) and that he was fragile and you couldn't touch him at all. Also, apparently every wish they made to Hoose Foose each night came true. Then Charlotte said, very seriously, with her hands clasped together like she was praying, "Can you please tell Hoose Foose to bring me an elf?" Ms. Kim told us that, laughing, we should be prepared if Charlotte mentions Hoose Foose. I can't stop laughing when I think about Hoose Foose because that name!
I was hesitant to get our very own elf, even though Chris was very much for it. It seems like a lot of work when you look on Pinterest. People show the elf moving all around and rearranging things and leaving little presents. I just don't have that kind of time (or creativity!), even though I admit it's a cute idea. Chris says that I'm missing the point - the elf is supposed to encourage good behavior.
On Friday I was at Costco picking up about five pounds of cheese in advance of making the world's best macaroni and cheese. (Side note: because of picky eaters in this household (ahem, Chris and Phoebe), I omit the mushrooms and grilled onions. Also, I use Gruyere, Parmesan, aged white cheddar, and goat cheese as my four cheese choices. You can really taste the goat cheese. The bacon fat roux makes it incredible. Seriously. This is what bacon was made for). Anyway, I noticed a whole bunch of Elves on the Shelf for sale. These aren't the plastic, pliable guys. They're plush dolls and a lot less expensive.
To say that Charlotte was excited was an understatement. She could not believe that Hoose Foose told us to get an elf! "How did he do that, Mommy?" Magic, obviously, is the answer. She immediately named him Reggie, and ever since, she cannot stop talking to him and about him. She runs over to him and says things like: "Reggie, Phoebe pushed me! Go tell Santa!" and she'll make me take things to show him. Each morning, she cannot wait to find out where he moved to during the night while she was sleeping. Sunday morning he was hanging out on our fruit bowl's banana hook. This morning, he had found Charlotte's The Wonderful House plane and decided to ride it. (Side note: If you don't know The Wonderful House, it's a delightful story by the author of Goodnight, Moon about a house that flies through the air. It has wings, pontoons to float on, and animals that live in it. You can't see below but a Duplo Snow White is piloting the plane, it's really cute).
And Chris is right about Reggie. Charlotte does think about her behavior and whether or not Santa would think she's being a good girl. Thanks, Reggie!

I LOVE THIS STORY! I was reading it aloud to Mom and we were both cracking up. So cute!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, this is an adorable post!! I love that Charlotte tattles on Phoebe to Reggie :) Hope you're all doing great.
ReplyDelete