Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Charlotte B. Goes to School!

The day we've been waiting for has finally arrived! Today is Charlotte's first day of Kindergarten.

First, let me give an update of Parent Orientation. I am so, so glad we got switched. These two teachers have been teaching at the school since it opened in 1990. In fact, one of the teachers pointed to a man in the back and said, "You sure look familiar!", and he said that he'd had her for Kindergarten in 1990! Amazing (his daughter is one of the girls on Charlotte's soccer teams). You can tell, just from hearing them talk, that they know exactly how to get the kids ready to learn. They're organized and have their system down. I'm not suggesting that the other teacher for the K-1 Combo wouldn't have been great, but it just wouldn't have been the same.

The teachers went over all the great things the school does. The kids are going on a field trip to Apple Hill at the end of September and then in October, they'll be going to a pumpkin patch. The PTO President explained that parents hated having their kids sell wrapping paper and cookie dough, so instead, we'll just be donating money to the school (fine by me - I hated selling all those things). The PTO funds, among other things, the librarian, the computer lab, and the ceramics program. Yes, the Kindergartners will get to do ceramics - the school has two kilns. I can't wait to see what Charlotte will make.

I was also thrilled to learn that six of the girls on Charlotte's soccer team are in her AM class.

Last Friday, KinderCare did a trial run for the Kindergartners who will be picked up by bus. They sent this adorable picture.


~

We've been preparing the past two days by getting her up earlier, so she can eat breakfast, get dressed, and be out the door by 7:40. We quickly learned that it's much easier to get Charlotte up and eating, than it is to get both girls up at the same time. Phoebe can still eat breakfast at Susan's, so there's no need for her to eat at home. Plus, if she sees that Charlotte's eating, she'll want to eat too, and she's a very slow eater.

While Charlotte eats breakfast, I start the long, painful task of brushing out her horribly tangled hair. She has very thick hair, but it's baby-fine and it gets tangled simply by doing nothing more than shaking her head. I bought her a satin pillowcase, which seems to help a little, but really, it just requires a gallon of detangler spray and extra time. It's awful for everyone involved.

I wanted to walk her to school on her first day because it seemed more special, and because I was working from home. Chris and Phoebe went in the car so they could leave right after. Charlotte was so excited that she walked much faster than usual. She loved seeing a baby bunny on the lawn of one of the houses we passed. She talked the entire time, all the while never letting go of my hand. I think I'll remember that most from today. She's such a big girl now, but she loves holding our hands.

Charlotte said as we were walking, "Can you believe it's the first day of Fall?" I said, "No, it's not the first day of Fall, Honey." Charlotte replied: "Oh, it's the last day of Summer?" I guess that's the problem with starting school in the middle of August. It feels like Summer is over.



We arrived at the school at 7:42, ten minutes before the official start of the day. Phoebe ran around the playground and also tried to get in other kids' photos by standing next to them. That girl. At 7:52, the classroom door opened and the two Kindergarten teachers stepped outside. They told all the kids to line up. (Phoebe, of course, tried to get in the line with the Kindergartners.)


We went in the classroom and helped Charlotte find her cubby. Apparently, she's not the only Charlotte in her class, so her cubby says Charlotte B. (The other Charlotte is Charlotte M.). Mrs. Moffitt, one of the two teachers, told us that there was a Charlotte B. in her class last year, so she's not even the only Charlotte B. at her school! (It made me flashback to my first day of Kindergarten, when I was one of two Stephanies in my class. I would forever, from that day forward, be known as Stephanie H.)

Charlotte B. got her name tag and went and sat down on the carpet. I was holding Phoebe, who desperately wanted to sit on the carpet. I told her we were leaving, so Charlotte gave each of us a half-hug and sat right back down. That was it. The room was super crowded, so it made sense that we leave, but it sure felt like we should hang around. Surely, she'd need us? This was, after all, a new experience for her. Nope, she never even turned around as we left.

After that, we dragged Phoebe away from the play structure. She said, as I was putting her in her car seat, "Bye, my school. Bye, my school!" Poor thing is going to have to wait three long years before she gets her chance at school.

~

When I went on a run during the mid-morning, I made a point to run by the school. The kids were outside for recess, and I saw Charlotte running around, happy as can be. I was across the street, so she didn't see me; and really, I didn't want her to see me. It felt a little silly to be checking in on her.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! Way to go Charlotte B!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got all teary at the hand-holding part. What a great first day for Charlotte B! I hope all of her subsequent days have been just as good.

    And as your friend, I'm relieved to not be hit up to buy wrapping paper and cookie dough :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading about Charlotte's first day of Kindergarten (very much late)! What a big girl. I hope she is still enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete