I meant to post this the day after the airing of this show, but obviously I didn't. And because I didn't, I missed my chance to blog about The Office. One of my absolute favorite shows. I admit that I was wary about "The Delivery," when Pam and Jim's baby is born because so many movies and television shows get it wrong. Also because Pam seems to go from being barely pregnant to having the baby. But the episode was really true to life. I'm going to let you read this amazing post, but I wanted to add a few more.
The show actually realistically portrays how hard breastfeeding can be at first and how easy it might be to quit. It was frustrating and difficult. The lactation consultant helped (although mine were women not a man like with Pam) only until she left the room or until I left the LC's office, and then I had to figure it out on my own, and I was terrified. And then the relief went it finally worked and Charlotte latched.
So many memories came rushing back when I watched Jim and Pam try to change diapers and swaddle their baby. You're excited and exhilarated and also exhausted.
A few experiences I had that were better. Luckily, unlike for Pam and Jim, my nurses were extremely supportive of breastfeeding. Never once did they suggest that Charlotte take a bottle or even leave my side. I also was fortunate to deliver at hospital that had private rooms for both the delivery and postpartum, although the postpartum room was pretty small.
Anyway, when the episode was done, I turned to Chris and told him that was the most realistic portrayal of a birth and the time in the hospital that I've ever seen. There were comedic moments for sure, but overall, it was a great episode. I also urge any future mommies (and new ones) to watch it.
Everyone is buzzing about this show! Everyone I've talked to loved it and said it brought back memories of their own births. Keith and I really enjoyed the show too. I am not sure if any hospitals have shared rooms for postpartum anymore - none of the ones around here do. Also, we sent Colin to the nursery both nights and he received one bottle of formula each night (the only formula he's had thus far). We were able to get six hours of uninterrupted sleep both nights which helped us tremendously to be able to cope with the sleeplessness once we got home and were on our own. He didn't experience any nipple confusion and went right back to breastfeeding. Our nurses didn't bring it up but when we asked their opinions, they encouraged us to go for it since he wasn't having any breastfeeding problems. They didn't make us feel guilty or like bad parents for considering it so we were very appreciative of that. It was the right decision for us for sure!
ReplyDeleteAh, but did you feed the wrong baby?!?!
ReplyDelete