Friday, February 20, 2015

2014 Look-back

yes, I barely ever blog anymore. And here's something I could have posted nearly two months ago.

1.    What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Volunteered in a classroom? I don’t know. That sounds really boring, but volunteering in Charlotte’s classroom is my favorite. The kids crack me up.
2.    Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Did I have any resolutions? I’m really not sure. If I did, it was to blog more, and I clearly failed at that.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, a good friend had her second baby.
4.    Did anyone close to you die?
I’m thankful that no one close to us passed away.
5.    What countries did you visit?
No countries in 2014. However, I did manage to travel to New York, Massachusetts, and Florida.
6.    What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Try to spend my downtime more productively.
7.    What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 11 – Charlotte’s first day of school. It was a big milestone.
8.    What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Just realizing that I’m pretty happy with the way life is going.
9.    What was your biggest failure?
Nothing major. Only some superficial failures, like not blogging, not doing enough to beautify the house.
10.  Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just normal colds and coughs.
11.  What was the best thing you bought?
Our Vitamix. It is truly an awesome blender. I made the simplest, yet most delicious asparagus soup and that Vitamix blended it into smooth perfection.
12.  Whose behavior merited celebration?
Charlotte. She is just a sweet, amazing girl. Every day, I marvel at how happy and smiley she is.
Phoebe. She has come a long way. She is not perfect by any means, but she’s getting ever so slightly easier to handle each day.
Chris. For working so hard. He could stay at work for hours at night, but he comes home, has dinner with us, and then works until the wee hours.
13.  Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
There are a couple of people who come to mind.
14.  Where did most of your money go?
Daycare, mortgage, food, wine.
15.  What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The holidays. They’re just so much more fun now with the girls.
16.  What song(s) will always remind you of 2014?
Since we’re already two months into 2015, I just can’t remember. I’m digging Uptown Funk.
17.  Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter, but just by a couple pounds. Working on getting back down to my target number.
c) richer or poorer? Richer. Paying for only after school care for Charlotte has been a nice break in our monthly costs.
18.  What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spend more time outside.
19.  What do you wish you’d done less of?
Less time watching TV.
20.  How did you spend Christmas?
In San Diego, with unbelievably nice weather (even for San Diego). We had a great time going to the Zoo and Legoland.
21.  Did you fall in love in 2014?
Love my girls a little more each and every day.
22.  What was your favorite (new) TV program?
This is one I just started binge watching on Netflix – Hart of Dixie. It’s clearly set on the Gilmore Girls old set, and it has the same sort of small town charm, except that it’s set in the South. Cliche at times, but cute and enjoyable.

On the completely opposite end of the spectrum, True Detective
23.  Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I can’t really think of anyone I hate 
24.  What was the best book you read?
Hmm, I read a lot of books last year. One I read in (early) 2015 is All the Light We Cannot See. Set in Saint Malo, France in WWII. I absolutely adored it. Beautiful writing, with an albeit sad bent.
Also, this isn't a book, but the gripping podcast Serial was amazing. It was an addicting, real-like crime story.
25.  What did you want and get?
Don’t know. Jewelry for my birthday? (if it were about 2015, I'd say my new FitBit. Obsessed and love the motivation it gives me to get moving)
26.  What did you want and not get?
Don’t know.
27.  What was your favorite film of this year?
No idea. Gone Girl? Listen to Serial!
28.  What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I just turned 34, so I’m going to answer for 2015, even though it should be for last year when I turned 33. Chris took me to one of my favorite restaurants. I also volunteered in C’s class that morning, and the Kindergartners sang me Happy Birthday, which pretty much made my day.
29.  What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Doing more at home.
30.  How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
Dresses for work, jeans and tops at home.
31.  What kept you sane?
My iPad.
32.  Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hmmm…Bradley Cooper
33.  What political issue stirred you the most?
So many. Probably the fact that the Supreme Court ruled that private employers (not just religious institutions) don’t have to offer birth control coverage for free to their employees if they have a religious objection (the Hobby Lobby decision). It was such a narrow decision (pretty much only applied to the Affordable Care Act). I will never set foot in that store.
34.  Who did you miss?
Family and friends I don’t get to see very often.
35.  Who was the best new person you met?
I met a lot of new friends as a result of Charlotte’s class, and I've become fast friends with the mom of one of Charlotte’s BFFs.
36.  Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
Life is short. Do what you can to control what you can, but otherwise let it go.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

I’m dancing on my own. / I make the moves up as I go. / And that’s what they don’t know.

No comments:

Post a Comment