Friday, April 10, 2015

Quarter 1, 2015

Hey! Remember when I used to post on this here blog?

Those were fun times.

Let's just say that life is full and fun and busy.

Phoebe is 3! I can hardly believe it. She knows her birthday is March 15 and she can count to at least 20. She knows all her colors and shapes and can name most letters of the alphabet when she sees them. Phoebe also thinks any words that she sees spell her name. She says that when she's 4 we'll go back on a plane to Mexico. I like your thinking, Phoebe!

Speaking of Mexico, we went there. In January. It's already been three months. We stayed at an all-inclusive place, and we all had a great time. Charlotte made friends with all the Canadians there seeking shelter from the cold. Phoebe loved wading in the baby pool with the pool noodle. It was a short trip - only four nights - but it was the first vacation we've been on with both girls that we thought should have been longer.

The Dramamine knocked Phoebe out on the whale watching trip. We may or may not have filed that away for future "boat" trips.
Charlotte made friends with these two sisters from Calgary, Alberta. They were fast friends. Charlotte also got her hair braided into cornrows on the last day.  
In February, we went to Disneyland and California Adventure for a week. We have some amazing pictures that will be made into a book on Shutterfly, but that's as far as we've gotten so far.




Charlotte has joined one of the many local swim teams in the greater Sacramento area. I don't know if San Diego had as many recreational swim teams when I was growing up, but there seem to be dozens around Sacramento (at least 4 just in Folsom alone!). They just started official practice, but we had her enrolled in a technical swim clinic for the entire month of March. She absolutely loves swimming. Three friends from her class are on the team, as well as her first BFF, Ava, with whom she was friends at the daycare of which I will not speak.

Charlotte and one of Charlotte's besties, Charlotte M.
Swimming is a big commitment, however. Practice is for an hour at least three times a week, and swim meets are nearly every Saturday starting in May. However, Charlotte is already a much better swimmer than she was a month ago, so I think this will be really good for her. The only time she's upset is when she gets out of the pool because she is just soooo cold.

Charlotte is making such good friends. Last week was Spring Break, and she spent half a day at a friend's house. I think it helps that I'm becoming good friends with the moms. Some don't work, and they love having her over. Others work part-time and are willing to take her to KinderCare after a playdate after school. It takes a village, after all.

We went to what was a pretty crazy, but super fun crab feed fundraiser for Charlotte's school. It was adults-only and we shared a table with three other couples of kids in Charlotte's class. I wanted our name to be the Shellfish Bastards and have us all dress up in country club/nautical attire, but the name was nixed. Instead, our table was called Cray-crayfish, which is still pretty funny.

One of the moms from Charlotte's class spent a LOT of time making some adorable crab cupcakes, but no one bought them during the auction. She angrily tossed crab cupcakes at our table. They were pretty cute and delicious.
Not everything has been great, however. On March 9, we lost my grandmother to a stroke. She was 84, and one of the kindest and sweetest people in the world. I'm not just saying that because she was my grandma. She really just was happy all the time. I always say to people that I don't know how Charlotte can be so happy all the time. Where does she get it from? Maybe she gets it from her great-grandmother, at least I'd like to believe so. Next week, I'm flying to Myrtle Beach to attend her memorial service. I would have loved to have all four of us go, but it's just too far to travel for such a short time. It will be really nice to see my mom's side of the family and meet my cousin's new baby, who is named after our grandmother and great-grandmother.

In Myrtle Beach, December 2010

Meme meeting her first great-granddaughter, Charlotte
Oh, and even though it's technically in Q215, here's a picture from the Easter Egg Hunt.

Love these two girls!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this and keeping us up to date. It makes me feel closer to you "far away" relatives....See you in less than a week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys had a great first quarter! :) I also enjoy the updated and hearing about what the Berrys are up to. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother though. Hope you guys have a great spring!

    ReplyDelete