Monday, July 6, 2009

First Date Night and My Milk Making Machine

Hi Everyone!

We had a great first 4th of July with Baby Charlotte. We went over to our friends' place for a BBQ, and Charlotte did great (it's easy when she sleeps all the time!). It was also so nice of my mom to hold Charlotte since she absolutely hates being put down -- how this is going to work when I'm the only one to hold her, I have no idea. It was so great to see all our friends, socialize, drink some beer and wine and eat some yummy food. It's easy to get isolated (self-imposed or not) when you have a newborn, but I think this outing showed that we can hang out with folks for a few hours at least. And the only time Charlotte cried at all was when I was feeding her and accidentally scratched her forehead with my fingernail. Oops! I felt so bad. She got over it pretty quickly though and went back to being a happy (sleeping) baby.

Yesterday, I successfully pumped breastmilk in large enough quantities to warrant an actual night (two hours) away from baby! This week is Sacramento's Wine and Dine week where a number of restaurants are offering prix fixe menus with wine pairings. We decided to try the Firehouse Restaurant in Old Sacramento for the first time. Once we got there and saw that they had a "Chef's tasting menu" with much nicer wines (and 5 courses), we splurged and got that instead. Oh my GOD. The food and wine was amazing. We had everything from an amuse bouche (a spoonful of melony/prosciutto goodness) to a chilled crab cocktail to a housemade chocolate truffle at the end with wonderful wines throughout. The pesto-marinated quail and pine nut/brie encrusted filet mignon were probably the most delicious meals I've had, maybe ever. It was fabulous. Thanks Mimi for taking care of your grandbaby while we wined and dined!

This morning Chris and I took Charlotte to her two week appointment. I'd been wondering if I'd been giving her enough milk, and we sure got our answer today. At her last appointment, two weeks ago, she was 8 lbs 15 oz. Today, she weighed in at a very healthy (95th percentile) 10 lbs 3 oz! She gained 20 oz in two weeks. And she's grown at least another 1/2 inch and officially is 22.5 inches long, although we suspect it might be closer to 23 because it was hard to get her unfurled for the measuring. She's in the 98% for length. This is great news, not only because it means I'm successfully feeding my baby, but that we don't have to wake her up to feed her anymore -- this will hopefully mean more sleep for us! Charlotte will now dictate to us when she wants more food (and she does have a set of lungs on her!).

So all in all, a great weekend and Monday morning! My mom flies home tomorrow, and then will begin the all alone during the day routine for me. More on how that goes soon.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to hear you are all doing so great. You are doing a wondeful job mommy! If you're up for company this week once your mom is gone, I'd love to come up to visit and give your arms a rest. Let me know what will work.

    ReplyDelete