So I'm sure you're all wondering how I'm doing now that Charlotte and I are home alone together. The answer? Better than expected! Yes, she loves to be held and will cry if any of the following things happen (and she happens to be awake) : A) Being put in her bouncer, B) Being put in her swing, C) Lying down on her gym mat, D) Going on a walk -- God forbid if you stop for one second!, E) Being put in her car seat. Now, if she's asleep when any of these things happen, particularly D and E, we're golden!
Note the fact that on Tuesday morning before my mom left, we went on a long walk (about 1.5 miles in each direction) to the levee. Charlotte did great on the way there and then screamed the entire way back. This morning, Charlotte and I walked to the Nugget to grab a croissant (my favorite grocery store) and a coffee and she slept the entire way -- score! Charlotte does seem to do better when I take a nap with her on the bed, or if we put her to sleep in her bassinet with the pacifier. Otherwise, it's fussy city. And yes, it's very hard typing with one hand (she's taking a nap right now, so I get the rare two-handed typing).
Charlotte actually does great at night now. We put her down just at 8 o'clock last night and she slept until almost 1AM! I actually meant to wake her up at 11 to feed her, but I was dead asleep, even mumbling to Chris about how we need to water the plants on the roof (this was in reference to the computer game "Plants versus Zombies" that we're all addicted to, even my mom). He was laughing at me and rightly so. So anyway, I fed her at 1AM and then she slept until about 4:30. We've gotten pretty efficient at changing and feeding her all within a half hour period, so we were all asleep until about 7:30. Charlotte was still awake, I think, but because she's wrapped tightly like a baby burrito, she doesn't cry, but merely makes some interesting noises.
So Charlotte does great at night, but Chris and I are both fairly disoriented when we first get up, especially at unholy hours like 4:30. Case in point: the other night as Chris was changing her diaper before handing her off to me, he saw a car in the middle of our street and then saw someone get out (car still running) and go up to our door. He hissed at me to turn off the lights and then immediately started laughing. A crazy person casing our house? Nope - the paper boy, delivering our newspaper. We now know how early the paper arrives!
Cute pictures! There is a book called The Happiest Baby on the Block. We rented the DVD version of the book and watched it. It has five methods to deal with a crying/fussy baby. I would love to know if they really work as well as they do on the DVD. You might try getting that book or DVD from your library (which is what we did). I can't speak to how effective it is but it might be worth a try if you get desparate!
ReplyDeleteVery cutie! Along the lines of what Maggie mentioned, one of the blogs I read mentioned a blanket called the miracle blanket. The blogger said it was a godsend. Here's the link http://www.bonnybabies.com/miracleblanket.htm
ReplyDeleteI'd be interested to see if it really works. If anything, at least you have a burrito of a baby, which, I think looks of so cute.
Can I comment on Maggie and Nancys comments?? The Happiest Baby on the Block methods are FABULOUS (especially for Dad's who don't know what do try when the baby is crying) and according to my sister in law, the miracle blanket was the only hope for my wiggly nephew!!
ReplyDeleteLindsey was like Charlotte- she LOVED to be held ALL the time. It does get better- I promise! Keep trying all your "tricks"... I will bet that a mobile and the bouncy seat will become some of Charlotte's favorites!!