Sunday, June 6, 2010

Learning the Quirks

We’re five days in to living in our new home, and we’re starting to get an appreciation for both the really cool stuff and the not-so-cool stuff.

Cool:

  • The pool.  The pool is awesome, and Charlotte loves splashing away in this really great blow-up floatie thing.  It has holes to stick her feet in, along with a canopy to protect her from the sun.  Although it takes a few minutes for Charlotte to warm up to the water (literally), once she has, she just has a blast.
  • The bike trails.  Folsom has an amazing network of bike trails, the majority winding their way near creeks and around oak trees.  I’m reminded that although it’s only 25 miles east, Folsom does not have the same topography as Sacramento at all.  We are in the beginning of the Sierra foothills and there is wildlife!  Yesterday, I took a bike ride (first time in more than 18 months) through the bike trails.  I saw quails and beautiful black birds with red chests and almost ran over a squirrel.  The best part? The bike trails are so well-designed that you never have to cross a street because the City built the trails under the major streets.  I went all the way to the west edge of the city, although I could have kept going and connected with the American River Parkway, which would have taken me all the way to downtown.
  • The marshy parkway.  The bike paths closest to our house wind through this really cool marshy area.  I took Charlotte on a walk yesterday, and we stopped at a pond to see a little boy and his grandpa feed bread to the ducks.  Charlotte was so excited that if I had let her, she would have gladly gone straight into the pond to grab all the baby ducklings.  I have a feeling that we will be visiting that pond quite often when Charlotte is walking.
  • Ceiling fans.  We have ceiling fans in all of the rooms, something we couldn’t have in our old home because the ceilings were pretty low and the attic was so small.  This has made a huge difference (see not-so-cool below).
  • The big bathtub!  We have a sizable bathtub in our master bathroom.  Charlotte loves taking baths in there because she can stand up and cruise around the tub.  It’s so deep that I have started just standing in there to wash her hair, because it’s easier than lunging over. 
  • Space.  We obviously have oodles of space.  Our master bedroom is so large, I don’t know what to do with the very ample sitting area.  I guess we’ll have to invest in some nice reclining chairs at some point.

Not-so-Cool:
  • Teenagers.  One of the reasons we moved was because our old neighborhood is aging and there aren’t a lot of kids.  There are plenty in Folsom.  But apparently because our new home was built in 1990, there are plenty of teenagers living nearby.  Now, this could be cool because we might have our pick of potential babysitters for Charlotte, but right now? Not so much.  We have no fewer than 5 backyards touching ours.  The one that touches ours the least happens to have the “popular” house that each night you can hear teenaged boys yelling.  Friday night they hosted a party.  It was so loud I couldn’t sleep, even when we closed the windows.  Would it be as big of a deal if we could sleep in? No, but since Charlotte wakes up no later than 7, it’s impossible for us to.  Anyway, after enduring shrieking and yelling after midnight, I got dressed, walked around the corner to view the address, and called the police department.  It was getting warm, so we tried to turn the air conditioning on so we could keep the windows closed and eventually get some sleep, which brings me to the next not-fun discovery:
  • Broken A/C.  We’ve had an extraordinarily mild Spring so far this year so we haven’t had to turn on the air conditioning, but this weekend was the first hot one.  Figures that it would be then that we discovered our A/C isn’t working.  Luckily, we required that the sellers buy us a home warranty to cover any problems in the first year, so all we have to do is pay a service fee to get someone out here and look at the unit.  Chris called yesterday morning and was promised a return call within 24 hours.  By yesterday evening, we were baking.  Chris called again and was told that the only way they could get us faster service was if the house was 105 degrees inside.  105? Please. We’d never be able to breathe.  We were uncomfortable enough at 85.  Chris played the young baby card, and our request was bumped up.  We’ll have someone here tomorrow, but I can tell you that it is hot!!  Fortunately, the ceiling fans and ample windows have helped some, but I still put Charlotte to bed in a diaper and nothing else.  However, keeping windows open last night required me to put in ear plugs to drown out the noise of those damn kids! 
  • Other weird things.  The water heater is on the complete opposite end of the house from the master bath and kitchen.  Therefore, it takes forever for the water to heat up, thereby wasting gallons in the process.  This makes me feel horribly guilty, so maybe I should collect some of the water and use it to water the plants? That’s what my dad does, as my parents’ house in San Diego has the same problem.
  • The carpet in the computer room smells horribly of wet dog or pee or worse.  The sellers had two large dogs, but I never smelled anything when we were looking at the house.  We had the carpets cleaned before we moved in, but I think it just brought those smells to the surface.  Ick.  I bought some powder to sprinkle in the carpet, but I can’t use it until we’ve unpacked the room and brought the vacuum back from the old house.  If it doesn’t work, I may have to replace that carpeting sooner rather than later.  (I can smell dog in the carpet in certain other rooms like the living room, and what was the sellers’ young son’s room, but not nearly as strongly as in that computer room).  In the meantime, it is hard for me to stay in that room for very long.
  • We have a lot of stairs as it’s a multi-level house. This doesn’t actually bother me at all, except for the fact that the house is much taller than our last.  Yesterday, Tandy fell from the second story all the way down into the living room.  We were really worried that she was hurt, but she seems fine.  It was about a 14 foot drop.  What I’m worried about is that there is a much higher drop from outside the master bedroom (you go up a handful of steps from the other bedrooms).  There is an open spot that looks down into the family room.  It’s got to be 18 feet? Not sure, but I just know that Tandy is going to fall from there too.  Charlotte is very interested in the railing outside our bedroom, but we’ve been keeping her away.
  • The commute.  I have a long commute now, somewhere between 30 and 40 minutes without bad traffic.  Chris has been the one with the long commute for ten years, but now it’s switched.  I’m making it work by leaving for work at 7AM.  This avoids most of the traffic toward downtown.  I leave for home at 4PM for the same reason.  Fridays I’ll be working from home and every other Wednesday.

On the whole we love our new house.  I just hope we can meet some cool neighbors, ones that don’t think it’s fun to have parties into the wee hours of the night.  (I realize this makes me so old and crotchety, but you’d feel the same way if you had no power over what time to wake up on weekends because of a baby.  And now that I get up at 5:45 to get ready for work, I need my sleep!!).

One more fun story before we go.  I mentioned that I had to take Charlotte to her 12 month well child appointment.  I was sitting in the exam room, holding her while chatting with the doctor when Charlotte, who had been wriggling nonstop, suddenly jammed her finger up my nose.  It hurt a lot, but I didn’t realize the damage she had done until my nose started bleeding profusely.  Charlotte’s doctor stared at me, his mouth agape, as though he’d never seen anything like it before, and then handed me a dozen tissues.  It kept bleeding all through Charlotte’s subsequent blood draw (a test for anemia).  The next day, her doctor emailed me to let me know that everything was normal and said, “I hope your nose is okay now!” I guess that’s one way to be remembered.

6 comments:

  1. Ouch!!! I hope your nose is OK!!!! That's really kind of funny but kind of terrible. We're going through the new-home ups and downs, so it's fun to read about yours.
    So far we're delighted with the hot tub and old lovely oak & redwood, but taming the bedroom and office is taming us. I almost wished I was still bedridden today after a round with the wallpaper. Ugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such a great post! I was wondering how everything was going. You really made me miss Folsom's trails! I can't wait until Colin is a year so that we can take him biking in the trailer. I totally understand about the noise and don't think you're being crochety at all. I hope it improves and that you meet some neighbors with young children soon. Oh and I'm so jealous about the pool. How great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just made me laugh out loud. I hope your nose was okay, though!

    I also hope you get all the home issues settled and can fully enjoy your new place soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness!!! My fingers are crossed that the A/C is up and running and maybe you can buy the kids off with something... water guns maybe?(to use on each other... not you!) Also, we have good friends who used clear plexiglass over their balcony railings, and my brother used a mesh guard. I hope Tandy has learned to stay far away from the edge! Good luck as you continue to settle in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping the teenagers will calm down soon now that they've had a few days of summer under their belt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moving is so exhausting, but it sounds like you're all doing well! I hope your AC is up and running at this point.

    I have a long commute, too. 25 miles each way, about 40 minutes in the morning and 60 minutes in the evening. Blech. But, we knew our home, neighborhood, and proximity to family would be worth it... and they are!

    ReplyDelete