Have you heard of Downton Abbey? It's a British miniseries about life in an English manor 100 years ago. I heard about it some time last year, probably when the first season was aired on PBS, but I kept reading it as Downtown Abbey and thought it was some weird British comedy about monks living in London. Well, the second season just started on January 9, and I kept seeing people posting about it on Facebook, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. And Mom, if you're reading this, get it on Netflix now! It's right up your alley. You will quickly become as obsessed as I am.
So Netflix has the first season streaming online, and PBS has all of the episodes from the first season on its website. I started watching it on Sunday, and I was instantly hooked. I watched two episodes that night and then two more during Charlotte's nap on Monday. And I'm so glad that I could watch the first episode of the new season on PBS and then record the rest. It starts out in April 1912 with the news of the sinking of the Titanic, and the turmoil it brings to the manor. It's a striking dichotomy between the rich and the servant class on the precipice of major changes that will ultimately break down class barriers (hello World War I!). The costumes are stunning, as are the sets, and Maggie Smith plays the Dowager Countess of Grantham, and she is splendid, as she is in pretty much every role she plays. (On a side note - she's looked old, or made to look old, for a really long time - don't you remember how old she seemed on Hook even though that was 20 years ago and she was not even 65? Or maybe it was because I was 10 and anyone that age would have seemed ancient. But I digress...)
Plus, who can look at that amazing manor and not want to live in it. Lady Mary's prim hunting/riding uniform makes me want to go hunting, and I'm not exactly the hunting type.
So yes, obsessed. Please join in on my obsession so I have someone to talk to about it with!

OMG, Downton Abbey is one of my favorite things ever! I think I watched Season 1 in two sittings. I may have even seen all of Season 2 since we get access to all BBC and ITV streaming but I won't share any secrets. Love, Love, Love it!
ReplyDeleteMary's riding totally made me want to learn how to ride sidesaddle. And I have a huge crush-ish feeling for Mr. Bates. I don't quite understand it. Obviously I am so thoroughly obsessed as well!
Canadians! Totally makes sense that you'd already have seen Season Two. :) I'm sure I can find episodes online, but I'm going to enjoy it coming out each week. Maybe Mr. Bates redeems himself, but right now, I'm not liking how he's stringing poor Anna along.
DeleteI recently noticed that some of the design blogs I read were mentioning this show. Every time I see the name, I do imagine Downtown and it bugs me. But, I keep hearing good things about it and I believe you just convinced me to watch it on Netflix!
ReplyDeleteI'll let you know what we think. Maybe we should start a show discussion club?
Oh, and Amélie and I just finished watching Hook over the span of a week and yes, Maggie Smith did look old then.
ReplyDeleteOh and apparently Maggie Smith was not even 60 years old in Hook. Jeez.
DeleteI totally thought it was "DownTOWN Abbey," too! Hilarious. It's on my (very, very) long list of things I may get to watch in, oh, 10 years?
ReplyDeleteWatched the first episode of Season One this morning Stephanie! It seems pretty interesting so far. I'll let you know when I have seen a few more episodes...
ReplyDeleteMaggie
I watched the first episode this morning and it seems interesting. I'll let you know when i've seen a few more episodes!
ReplyDelete