You've probably read dozens on New Year's resolutions, so you probably don't want to read anymore. But mine is not so much a resolution than a look back at last year's resolutions. Mostly number 8, which was to read more books. I may not have met all of my other resolutions, but I hit this one out of the park. I had to look at my Nook, my list of checked out library books, and what I posted on GoodReads in order to make this list, but it's more or less complete. I've highlighted those I think are really worth reading. Some I read just because they were free Friday downloads on my Nook, others because I needed something to read, so picked some easy chick lit ones.
Here they are (not counting any of the books I re-read, like the Hunger Games trilogy, The Help, The Secret Garden, or the last Harry Potter book):
1) One Day by David Nicholls
2) Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi - you all know her as the crazy sister from Arrested Development, but Portia de Rossi really explores her self-identity and her eating disorders.
3) House Rules by Jodi Picoult
5) Magyk (Septimus Heap Series #1) by Angie Sage
6) Flyte by Angie Sage
7) Physik by Angie Sage
8) Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella
9) Wings by Aprilynne Pike
10) Switched (Trylle Trilogy #1) by Amanda Hocking
11) Torn (Trylle Trilogy #2)
12) Ascend (Trylle Trilogy #3)
13) 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
14) Life's a Beach by Claire Cook
15) Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin
16) The Violets of March by Sarah Jio - an all around great and well-written story about romance and mystery.
17) Untouchable by Scott O'Connor
18) Auschwitz by Miklos Nyiszli - one of the eye witness accounts of the Holocaust I've ever read. Gripping and wonderfully written.
19) Gap Creek by Robert Morgan - a story set in North Carolina sometime in the early 20th century or late 19th century?
20) The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
21) Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
22) Blood Ties by Lorie Armstrong
23) Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb - an easy pseudo Christmas book
24) Dark Legacy by Anna DeStefano
25) Bossypants by Tina Fey - *My favorite book of 2011 - I still snort with laughter each time I read it
26) I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson - this one deals with a career woman and a mother, and while it's a bit far-fetched, it does touch on a lot of the anxiety working women have at trying to be good at their jobs AND be good mothers (I haven't seen the movie with Sarah Jessica Parker)
27) The Marriage Proposal by Jeffrey Eugenides - this guy has got to write more than one book a decade. He is such an excellent writer, and his characters are so well-developed
28) Free-Range Kids: Giving Our Children the Freedom We Had Without Going Nuts with Worry by Lenore Skenazy - this woman puts things in perspective about the helicopter parents in all of us.
29) Dewey: the Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron
30) Millie's Fling by Jill Mansell
31) A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
32) Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult - Honestly, I don't remember anything about this book, but I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads, so it must be good, right?
33) Club Dead by Charlaine Harris
34) I Remember Nothing and Other Reflections by Nora Ephron
35) The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
36) A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick - I checked this one out of the virtual library and it is a great story
37) I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced, by Nujood Ali, Delphine Minoui - Also checked out of the virtual library, about a 9 year old Yemeni girl who had to marry a much older man and how she was able to divorce him.
38) Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris
39) Why Me? by Sarah Burleton - this one is very short, and not for the faint of heart. It's a true story of the most unbelievable physical and emotional abuse this girl had to endure from her mother and her stepfather from the age of 6 to 16.
And of course I read at least 5 books to Charlotte every single night.
So there you have it - with the books I re-read, I read about 50 books, which is pretty close to one book a week. I'm desperately looking for some new books to read, especially since I'll have a lot of late night feedings coming up soon. Any suggestions?
Wow, I am VERY impressed. How do you have time to read that much? How many hours a day do you read? My goal for 2011 was 1 book per month and I think I only got 10! I am currently reading Cutting For Stone and it is very good. It's about twins :)
ReplyDeleteWhat an impressive list!! Amazing! When do you read?! What's your secret?
ReplyDeleteHoly Moly!!! I just read The Hunger Games... for the first time!! How many hours are in your day??? I'm pretty sure your day is longer than mine! :) Thanks for the list of books- now I have some new ones to download!
ReplyDelete