Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Thank You Netflix

Oh Netflix, you allow me to watch so many shows that I would have missed or skipped when they aired on regular TV. Like Parks & Recreation, Friday Night Lights*, Lost, and Downton Abbey.** Netflix also allows me to instantly throw on shows and movies for Charlotte, giving her the impression that I can magically show her any movie she's heard of right away.

So it's time for my occasional series: "Have you seen this yet?"

Parenthood



Okay, so I watched the series premiere of this show and didn't really like it all that much, but when I was on maternity leave, I noticed that it was streaming on Netflix, so I thought, why not try it out again. This time, I was instantly hooked.

The show is about the large Braverman clan and revolves around the lives of the four adult Braverman children: Adam, Sarah, Julia, and Crosby. Sarah is played by Lauren Graham, whom I've loved since the Gilmore Girls. Adam is played by Peter Krause of Six Feet Under.

It's set in Berkeley (and the greater Bay Area), so it's so cool to watch them "watching" Cal games and seeing the iconic Campanile from the Berkeley Hills at the end of the opening credits. I love that they included a little rivalry between Adam and Julia - Adam who went to Cal and Julia who went to Stanford. The little details to try and make it seem like they really live there are what make me love it even more.

And the show feels authentic - makes me laugh, makes me cry, makes me want to have three siblings so I can hang out with all of them and their spouses. Also, the music is so great on that show, I always want to know exactly what was just played. (I only just found that link today, so you know I'm going to have to download a bunch of those songs).

So yeah, another TV show to add to your list, if you aren't already watching it. (I realize I might be the only one to find this show so late in the game).

*Apparently, the producer/writer Jason Katims, also wrote for Friday Night Lights, which explains why they're both so good and why several actors have been guest actors on Parenthood.
** Season 2 of Downton Abbey is on Amazon Prime, if you have that.

2 comments:

  1. Started watching this S1 E1 and haven't missed a show yet. I was a Gilmore Girls fan (finding it during Season 2) so I wanted to see Ms. Graham in something else.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, we couldn't be more on the same page about all of this! Parenthood is my favorite show. I think ever. I told Keith I like it more than 90210 (my previous favorite). I have been watching from the beginning. I even named my daughter Julia and another name we were seriously considering was Camille. Although this was really just a coincidence. I actually don't like Camille on the show too much. I have a friend who lives in Novato and he says he has seen the cast about town. How lucky is that!? I wish I was a Braverman! Oh and the original 80's movie starring Keanu Reeves, Steve Martin, Martha Plimpton, Leaf Phoenix, Mary Steenburgen and Rick Moranis....LOVED IT TOO! Have you seen it?

    I also love Friday Night Lights and was so sad when it went off the air. I am planning on watching Nashville just to see Tammi Taylor again. I love her!

    I also love Downton Abbey (which I learned about from you). We just recently got Amazon Prime again so I can watch Downton Abbey on the iPad. I just wish I could watch it on our TV. Our Tivo has Amazon streaming movies but only the ones you pay for, not the free ones through Amazon Prime. So frustrating!

    And we LOVE Netflix for the kids' content. Colin regularly asks for Netflix and knows how to find and launch the app on the iPad and pick a show. I heart you Netflix!

    ReplyDelete