Let's change the subject to something a little more uplifting, shall we?
In seven weeks, Chris and I are going to Greece!
(Photo of Santorini from http://fierceover50.com)
When my mom offered to come and watch the girls so that we could go on a trip, it was hard to decide where to go. We feel like we've been to a fair amount of places, but really, we've barely begun to scratch the surface. Anyway, I started looking at trips through both my alumni association and REI. We wanted a trip that was both interesting, but also planned for us. We settled on the latter because the reviews for the REI trip are so fantastic and because we wanted an active adventure (we both get restless at beach-only vacations). Hiking through the Greek Isles along with what can only be described as a culinary adventure? Plus plenty of time to enjoy sunshine and water? Yes, please!
What better way to experience a country than through really getting off the beaten path? And while it's pretty expensive, we don't get to go very often, so (we hope) it's worth the splurge. Plus, we both got bonuses this year (the upside for me now working in the private sector!) and a fairly sizable tax refund (thank you Phoebe, our little tax deduction). In addition, I booked the REI trip with my REI credit card so I'll get 5% of the trip back next year. Not too shabby.
Greece has always been on the bucket list. It's that rare combination of beautiful and historical. In 9th grade, my humanities class covered Greek history extensively as did my AP Art History class the following year. To be able to see the Parthenon in person? I still can't even believe it's going to happen!
(Naxos Island)
We booked the trip in November, but it wasn't officially confirmed until at least four people signed up. I was sort of getting anxious because I'm a planner and not knowing if it would be confirmed was giving me a little heartburn. I'd also already booked airfare in January because I'd seen the cheapest fare yet and felt like I couldn't wait any longer. On February 1, we got the email saying that our trip is confirmed! Whew. What a relief! And last week, I just made the final payment (no turning back now!).
So in less than two months, we'll be hiking in the Greek Isles (Santorini and Naxos are two of the islands we'll be visiting), exploring ancient ruins and monuments, and eating delicious Mediterranean food and drinking wine. I can't wait. Oh, and we'll be posting to our travel (and too little used) blog provided that the hotels have wireless. I hope to do a better time at posting than I did when we were in Costa Rica two years ago.
Until then, Θα τα πoύµε! (see you later!)


No comments:
Post a Comment