Sunday, February 1, 2009

Decorating Advice Needed!

Yesterday, Chris and I spent almost 4 hours (!!) looking at baby stuff at a certain baby superstore. It took that long (and we haven't even decided on maybe half the stuff we need) because A) we have no idea what we're looking for or what we need, B) we needed to actually try out things like car seats and strollers for functionality, C) it's overwhelming, and D) it's a
huge store. Thank goodness they have a whole section of gliders and ottomans because I needed to sit down and take a break every so often.

We did manage to accomplish a lot over those several hours, like deciding on a diaper bag that's cute but wouldn't embarrass Chris to tote around; picking a stroller frame over a travel system; and deciding on how to decorate the nursery.

Although we're having a little girl, neither of us is really super excited about traditional girly colors like pink and purple, at least for the nursery. We wanted something gender neutral so that we can use the same baby for baby number 2 (although that won't be for a while). So we decided on Kids Line Bunny Meadow. I like it for a number of reasons: 1) I love the sage green, chocolate brown, and cream colors, 2) it's made with organic cotton,which is a bonus, and 3) the pattern is cute but not cutesy.

But my dilemma comes with figuring out how to actually decorate the nursery. To make the room a little more feminine, I plan on hanging up wooden letters of the baby's name (although that seems expensive considering the name we've currently agreed upon is nine letters long). We saw ones yesterday that were cute with pink polka dots. And some of the items we registered for are pink to insert a little more splash of feminine color in the room without being overwhelmingly girly.

I guess where I'm stuck is how to create something like what this mom did for her baby's nursery (I stole this from the above website's reviews on the bedding):



She actually made the adorable border using a stencil. How does one do that? Is it hard?

Here's another picture of the precious room.



Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas. I'd like to know what you think about other colors that would work for the walls that aren't necessarily those three colors of cream, brown, and green. We still have plenty of time, but I'm not the most artistic person in the world, so I need time to plan this out!

5 comments:

  1. Adorable bedding for la bébé!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who never entered a Joann's Fabrics in my life until January 2, and who has literally been there every week since getting supplies for my wedding crafty projects, I think I can help you here. I have seen wooden letters at Joann's for pretty reasonable prices. Plus, if you sign up to receive their emails, they send you a 40% off coupon just about every week. You can also purchase stencils at Joann's (possibly at Michael's as well), or you can probably find them online. Stencils are pretty easy to do, but you have to be patient, and make sure to talk to someone at Lowe's or Home Depot about the best type of paint for a baby room.

    As for colors, I definitely like the colors you mentioned. I've always been partial to a little bit of yellow, too. It's cheerful and gender neutral. I think it would be fun to have a room incorporate some beloved children's book characters. I always associate "The Little Prince" and "Rin Tin Tin" with you... maybe you could include pictures of French storybook characters, so that Baby Berry knows of its roots?

    I LOVE talking about this sort of thing, so just ignore me if I'm rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Joann's is awesome for that type of thing, and that there's plenty of ways to be crafty about this. Stencils are easy, but it does take a lot of patience, but I think over all it's worth it in the end.

    In regards to colors, I think some yellow would totally be cute...plus, you can do varying shades of green, brown, and cream for variety. Since Baby Berry is a girl you could also add in a splash of teal or something which is in the green family but more girly.

    I totally love this stuff too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another easy and cool way to decorate is to use "wallies" wallpaper decals. My sis did this in my nephew's room. She mounted them on painted canvases. Its much cheaper than artwork. Here's link to one of about a zillion websites that sell them. http://www.wallies.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thanks for your wonderful comment on my blog! It's fun to "meet" other pregnant ladies! As for your post here, I think pink is a great accent color to introduce around the room in splashes as an accent to those other colors. I agree with the other commenter as well that decals are a great way to go. I like modern looking things so I favor the options at Gecko:
    http://www.geckostickers.com.br/english
    /index.html
    or at Blik
    http://www.whatisblik.com/walldecals.html

    My other advice is to make your largest pieces of furniture make the "loudest" color statement and build everything else from there. Meaning, the favored color you'd like to "showcase" should dominate on your largest pieces (like crib, chair, wall art or accent wall via paint). Then, you can layer in the details with the accent colors you've chosen (via pillows, blankets, decals, toys, art, decor, rug, curtains, etc.) Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete