Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Crazy Baby Boards

Okay, so the baby boards online are like a train wreck. You want to stay away and stop looking, but you just can't. What I've realized is that you don't need any sorts of qualifications to have a baby. People have them all the time -- degree, no degree, job, no job, money, no money. What I really don't understand is why pregnant women turn to other completely clueless pregnant women for advice.

These are a few of the more ridiculous questions that I've come across in the past few months (no editing of these):

1) Could iceing my crotch give baby brain freeze?
* A responder told her, tongue-in-cheek obviously, to swallow a sweater. Another said "oh and if you eat soup, you'll give your baby third degree burns!"

2) I might sound dumb asking this question but my favourite movie is out today "Wolverine"!! I was wondering can I go the movie theatre or is it way too loud?? I am afraid it's too noisy for the womb....am I over reacting??
*Surprisingly the answers weren't "you're nuts," but just don't sit too close to the speakers. I should have responded, you should go, but put ear muffs on your belly.

3) My wife is due with our first on June 16. We are having a boy and are very excited. I have been reading the posts on here for a while and haven't seen this question yet. Since this is our first my wife have breastfed yet and we are just wondering at what point do the breasts get the hole in them. I didn't know how to word that any better.
*I just really can't react to this one at all.

And of course the piece de resistance (I'm paraphrasing b/c I don't have the link anymore):

4) I'm 9 weeks pregnant and wondering what birth control you're using now because don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be pregnant, but I don't want to get pregnant again.

*There were hundreds of responses to this, mostly in the form of you obviously don't know your body at all. But what really got me was when the poster then responded, I don't understand why all of you are reacting this way - Irish Twins is a real thing. It's when you have children less than 12 months apart, which can only mean that you're not done being pregnant with the first before becoming pregnant with the next. To which one person responded, yeah, but you're not pregnant for a YEAR!

Anyway, I just felt like I should share these. I know it's probably bad of me, but I can't help feeling just a tad bit more prepared for labor, breastfeeding, taking care of a real-life human being... and yes, just a little bit smug.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. Which boards were these on? I must say I don't read them much at all. That last one is so ridiculous that it just confuses me.

    You are getting SO close! Wow, it will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad to say they're on multiple boards. The last one is actually one that Angela (Romo's fiancee) found from the Bump (part of the Knot).

    And yes, the last one is ridiculous, but she was dead serious. She actually thought she could get pregnant when she was already pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Il y a vraiment des idiots sur terre! Incroyable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I discovered your blog by way of Me & Wee. This is too funny because my friend and I were just talking about this very same thing! It's so nutty what one can find in these online pregnancy forums. And I can't help but read them either! :)

    ReplyDelete