...that is definitely the question du jour.
We went for my one week follow up appointment today. My OB cancelled at the last minute, so I saw one of the nurse midwives on staff. She asked if my doctor had discussed induction, and I replied that we hadn't even discussed it last week because she was pretty confident that I wouldn't make it to today's appointment (Ha! Charlotte sure showed her!). The nurse midwife, Lynnette, asked me what my birth plan was. I said I pretty much wanted to avoid unnecessary interventions if at all possible, so she said that the next step would be to go in twice next week for a Non-Stress Test (they monitor the baby's heartbeat and movements for 20 minutes as well as the fluid around the baby). When I heard next week, I just about lost it. I immediately started crying because I just couldn't bear the thought of going another week. Although apparently most first time moms deliver 7 to 10 days late, so I'm still well within "normal" range.
Anyway, the midwife said (after seeing me crying) why don't we check you out and give you all your options today, and you can decide. That calmed me down a bit. She checked me and I'm about 2 cm dilated, still 80% effaced. Baby's heartbeat is great, so she's still happy. She then did a second stripping of the membranes to see if that moved things along (clearly it didn't last week!). Lynnette then said, because I told her I wanted a midwife attending my birth, that she's at the hospital all day Thursday, which is exactly 41 weeks so why don't we have you come in then. In short, we've scheduled an induction at 7AM on Thursday morning. I kind of have mixed feelings about this because I would love to go into labor on my own, but I have no idea how long it's going to take to happen.
The midwife did suggest taking castor oil to get things moving, but I'm not sure I really want to go that route -- it's basically a strong laxative that has been used for years to get labor started. It just doesn't sound all that pleasant.
The midwife assured me that if I change my mind and don't want to induce, I don't have to. I think I'd be more zen about the whole thing if I hadn't heard next week. Plus, it's starting to get hot again and that's making me uncomfortable -- we've had amazing weather all last week and now the mercury is creeping back up. So for now, Thursday morning it is. Or maybe I'll be lucky and go in before then!
Oh dear! Charlotte certainly is a patient little girl, isn't she??
ReplyDeleteI think that if you had that strong a reaction to waiting until next week, maybe the induction isn't the worst thing...though I can totally understand wanting to avoid unnecessary interventions....
Well, today is Tuesday, so just maybe your little girl will decide to make her grand entrance now. Or right now. Now???
Wow, that is a tough call. I'm certain you'll make the best choice for you and Chris and Charlotte though. Try not to stress too much about it. I can't wait to receive an update!! Best of luck with everything!
ReplyDeleteHopefully all is working out! I know how hard this is and I wasn't late! I can't imagine. If induction must happen, please know that even though it wasn't part of the plan, it is also helping to keep the baby safe as the placenta starts to age. Anything to get her here safe and sound!! Hopefully you will go on your own, but if not, remember the end goal is a healthy happy baby. Yay!
ReplyDelete