Friday, October 9, 2009

Getting in the Swing of Things

The Berrys have all been sick this week, I'm afraid. It started with me getting a sore throat and has expanded to a full head cold.  Then Charlotte got a cold and has been all congested.  Today, Chris is sick.  Although I've felt horrible, Charlotte's been happy, happy, happy.  And she's also been, for the most part, sleeping much better.  We're chalking up last week to a growth spurt and/or transition to a new routine.  Yesterday afternoon Miss Linda called and said that Charlotte must have an ear infection because she's been tugging on her ear and it was bright red.  Uggh, I thought, what next?  So I took Charlotte to the doctor this morning, but nope, no ear infection.  Apart from being all stuffed up, Charlotte is doing great.  She now weighs 14lbs, 14oz!  What a big little girl. No measurements, but her four month appointment is in two weeks, so we'll find out then.

I guess I should expect some paranoia on the part of the daycare lady because the mom who recommended Linda told me that when her son had diarrhea once, Linda was sure it was e. coli. Right. So we'll just have to observe Charlotte ourselves next time before rushing her to the doctor's.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Steph, I am enjoying reading your blog, and remembering what all of that was like. your daycare lady was right about the pulling on the ears thing-it can be a sign of ear infection-but add a fever and you're in need of a doctor. a great resource for medical info that I like is webmd on the internet. you can put in baby with a cold and get all kinds of home treatments and things to make it easier. elevating the crib mattress with blankets or pillows (underneath) can help stuffy babies breath easier-and vics vapor rub-I still love that stuff. sounds like all in all you are having fun- love, aunt wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie-
    Ear pulling can also be teething!! Wouldn't it be nice if these little ones could just TELL us what the problem is?? Lindsey was SUPER cranky all afternoon, pulling on her ear.... I was feeling around tonight- she is getting her first MOLAR!! AARGH!!! Poor little one!!
    Hope you are all feeling better soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you all feel better soon. And I'm so glad to hear that sleeping is going much better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are all feeling better again soon! Ear infections signs are very difficult... we've got it wrong a bunch of times- including just a couple months back. Sick babies are never easy - but I'm happy to hear this ear infection worry was just a false alarm.

    One key sign our doctors have suggested we look out for is to try to tell if the pain/crying subsides if the baby's head is elevated (especially in the wee hours of the night). It's not a sure sign, but if combined with a mild fever, it's decent indicator and a bit more reliable than the ear tugging.

    Here's to trial and error!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ear pulling can also be a sleepy sign! It definitely is for my son.

    ReplyDelete