So I spoke to a lactation consultant the other day, the one who taught our breastfeeding class and helped me out so much when Charlotte was about 5 days old. She gave me some advice including trying to pump one more session during the day, pumping longer, and taking fenugreek supplements. I have to say that it's almost impossible to pump one more time at work, and hello, I'm already pumping for half an hour! Half an hour at a time -- I feel like an industrial dairy cow! So I'm taking fenugreek pills three times a day and like the lactation consultant warned me, I now smell like maple syrup. I sweat maple syrup and I pee maple syrup, and now Charlotte smells like maple syrup. Weird. But I guess there are worse smells to have?
So far, I haven't noticed any upswings in the milk supply area. Not pumping any more, but not pumping any less. The real difference? Charlotte has not been sleeping as well. I think I've boasted about her ability to consistently sleep for 8 to 11 hours at a time (like 8 to 4 or 6) and then eating and sleeping for another three hours. But now? She's been waking up at 2 or 3 for the past few nights. On Wednesday night, when she woke up at 2 AM, I lost it and just cried and cried. I mean, I haven't seen 2AM in weeks (like maybe since she was about 6 weeks old)! My poor baby. Is she such a crazy eater during the day that she was used to eating more than the 16 ounces Linda feeds her at daycare? Does she miss nursing? Ack. And of course, this just means that I am exhausted and stressed and worried.
Chris and I decided to try something new for my sanity. We put Charlotte to bed at 7:30, I went to sleep at 9, and Chris brought Charlotte in at 11PM for me to feed her again. But I was so out of it that she ate and I pretty much slept through her eating until 12:30, when Chris put her back in her crib. And then she woke up again at 4, ate, and then slept until 8:30 (I'm working from home today).
I guess I'm just worried that she's not sleeping enough. When I dropped her off at daycare this morning, Linda said that Charlotte slept a ton yesterday - two hours in the morning and three hours in the afternoon. I certainly don't want her mixing up her nights and days, but then again, Charlotte was used to sleeping through the night, eating, and then sleeping again for two to three hours.
This insanity really feels like I'm starting all over again. We need to come up with a new schedule or I'm going to be a wreck at work.
Oh Stephanie - I'm so sorry to hear about your frustrations. I hope it gets better soon. I wish I had some advice to give but instead I'll tell you that I think you're being an awesome Mommy for Charlotte. She is so lucky to have you and you guys will get through this. Hnag in there.
ReplyDelete