Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sleep Regression and Fall in Sacramento

So we've had a rough few days.  Suddenly our great sleeper is waking up every three or four hours during the night.  Wow.  We think she wakes herself up, talks to herself for a bit, and then suddenly decides, "Hey, I'm hungry! Why don't I cry and get Mommy's attention!"  So instead of 8 hours of interrupted sleep, Charlotte has been waking up at 1, 4:30, 7:30, etc.  Ouch!  She seems happy, but obviously there's some kind of change.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that Charlotte might be getting her first cold because she's been coughing and sneezing a lot today, and well, because I'm getting a cold.  I haven't been sick since February, but of course I've ventured back into the real world of germs.  The owner of Dad's Kitchen in Land Park told me at breakfast this morning (he has a 7 month old) that as soon as they get sick their sleeping gets all out of whack. 

Who knows why the sleep change has happened.  It could be A) Charlotte's sick and feeling lousy, B) misses nursing, C) has the so-called 4 month sleep regression where she is more interested in her surroundings so wants to be up and look around, D) hitting a growth spurt that makes her hungry, or E) a combination of the above.  Whatever it is, it's a major change.

In any case, after being frustrated two nights in a row, I've decided to just take it as it comes.  We've been spoiled like crazy up until this point, and Charlotte is still a very happy and mellow baby, so we're still pretty lucky.  She's also the size of a six month old, so maybe she really does need to be eating more (rice cereal?).  I'm going to email her doctor for advice.  And I've decided not to beat myself up about pumping.  Had I thought about it beforehand, I would have been stockpiling milk in the freezer, but since I didn't, I'll know that she's thriving just fine on the half and half diet.

The weather has finally cooled down.  I think Sacramento in the Fall is the best.  The mornings are crisp, the days are still mild, and we're all thankful for no more triple digit days.  We spent yesterday pressing grapes at our neighbors across the street, and today Chris is getting 250 pounds of Cabernet Sauvignon grapes to start fermenting in the garage (he already has Merlot aging).  And today marks one year since we found out that Charlotte was on the way!  So yes, Fall is the best!

3 comments:

  1. Chris started on rice cereal at around 6-8 weeks because he was a big baby and needed more.

    He did fine, look how well he turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stephanie - I think you have a good attitude about it all. Just take it one day at a time and don't beat yourself up about the formula. I'm sure things will improve soon. Just hang in there and stay postive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't rush into solid foods just because of your baby's size. The infant growth charts are based on formula-fed babies -- breastfed babies show a lot more variation in their growth patterns. Most health groups now recommend no solids until 6 months. But if you decide to start solids early, there are other foods which provide more nutrition than rice cereal, without significantly more risk of allergies. My son's first food (at 6 months old) was sweet potatoes. Check out this page for more info: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/first-foods.html

    ReplyDelete